Monday, October 20, 2008

One of my main reasons for starting this blog is to help my friends and family score some of the great grocery or other money-saving deals that I get. When I get twenty boxes of cereal and granola bars for $10, people ask, “how do I do it?”. All over the web are really great websites that help coupon users score the deals, (I use couponmom.com to scope out the ShopRite deals, and moneysavingmom.com for CVS and other deal ideas) but there is no one that I can find who is putting together Acme deals. Recently I have learned that Acme has the best coupon policy in the area, combined with pretty good sales, so I have been shopping there. Since I am doing it for myself, I am going to share the scenarios here. Obviously, you won’t want all of these items all of the time, but hopefully you can work some of them to save some dough. If you are wondering what to do with a bunch of an item, the key is stockpiling.

Sales at most grocery stores go in cycles, some weeks an item is on sale and some weeks it is not. When you stock up on an item you use regularly, when it is on a great sale and/or you have a coupon to use, you avoid paying full price for that item when you need it and there is no sale or no coupon. The rationale is simple.

So what do you need to get started? My first and biggest recommendation is BUY THE PAPER! Around here, if you order the paper delivered to your house, the coupons come on Saturdays. If you just want to go to the store and buy a paper, the coupons will be in the Sunday paper. I have to say that I would frequently forget to buy the paper on Sunday and miss out on a bunch of good coupons. You can get some really good grocery deals using printable coupons, but a lot of the best come from the paper.

One more pointer, set up a separate email account to sign up for company newsletters and other promotions where coupons are emailed to you. This will help keep your inbox free of junk mail, and you can sign up for promotions from all of your favorite brands.

In no time at all you will have a nice stash of coupons, a stocked pantry and more cash in your wallet.

Love, Bay

0 comments: